The gardens were started in 1740 and laid out according to Count Carlo Giacinto Roero di Guarene’s design by the master gardener at Castello di Govone.
The scenic layout of hornbeam espaliers, yew trees shaped into pinnacles, and cypresses makes skilful use of the limited space. Documents chronicling the palace’s early history mention five peacocks roaming the gardens – which is unusual for this period and location.
At a lower level, on the side of the palace overlooking the Tanaro valley and Barbaresco, another formal garden – called “Maneggio” (Intrigue) – is laid out. Here, low hornbeam hedges mark out flowerbeds of various geometric shapes, arranged symmetrically around the garden’s central axis. The recent restoration and conversion project has returned the garden to its original splendour.